Weight Watchers has changed their program. The points listed on my blog for WW points is for the old Momentum program.

I will be updating my recipes for the new Points Plus program. I am going to list the 4 nutrients needed to calculate the Points Plus for the recipe so that you can easily figure the PP per serving.

I am going to leave the old Momentum Points in case anybody is still following that program.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Homemade Eggnog

12 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 quarts milk, divided
2 T vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 c. whipping cream (heavy cream in the carton)
Additional nutmeg, optional

In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually ad 1 aq. of milk. Cook and stir (I use a whisk) over low heat until a thermometer reads 160-170*, about 30-35 minutes (kids are SO helpful right about now).

Pour into a large heatproof bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth (I've never had this happen).

Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. When ready to serve, beat cream in a mixing bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Pour into a 5 qt. punch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.

YIELD: 3 1/2 quarts. Eggnog may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Whisk before serving.

No comments: