Weight Watchers has changed their program. The points listed on my blog for WW points is for the old Momentum program.

I will be updating my recipes for the new Points Plus program. I am going to list the 4 nutrients needed to calculate the Points Plus for the recipe so that you can easily figure the PP per serving.

I am going to leave the old Momentum Points in case anybody is still following that program.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Spicy Beans & Rice (Southern Living)

2 lb. dried red kidney beans
5 bacon slices, chopped
1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices (I used turkey kielbasa)
1/2 lb. salt pork, quartered (didn't use this at all)
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 celery ribs, sliced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 32-oz. containers chicken broth
2 c. water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground red pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
I also added cumin and Pampered Chef southwest seasoning
Hot cooked rice

Soak kidney beans overnight, or do a quick sock by covering beans with water 2" above beans, bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and continue with recipe.

Saute bacon in Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 5 min. Add smoked sausage and salt pork, saute 5 min. Add garlic, pepper, onion and celery; saute 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Stir in beans, broth, 2 c. water, and seasonings; bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 hours or until beans are tender. Remove salt pork before serving. Serve over rice.

I made 1/2 of this and it made about 2 quarts. I will serve it with corn bread.

No comments: